Butch & Sundance

At the end of the film Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Paul Newman and Robert Redford recharge their guns and exchange their latest jokes, and then bravely released a square surrounded by Bolivian soldiers. The movie, a blockbuster in 1969 and still a presentation in late-night television, complete with wounded criminals facing almost certain death. The scene stops before falling antiheroes, he has the smallest chance of survival.

The film is based on a true story. The criminal known as Butch Cassidy, born under the name of Robert Leroy Parker on April 13, 1866, was the oldest of 13 children in a Mormon family in Utah. His admiration for a young cowboy named Mike Cassidy and a short time working as a butcher crime inspired its name. To save having fallen prisoner in a prison in Wyoming for stealing five dollars a horse drove him to a life as a fugitive.

The Sundance Kid, born under the name of Harry Alonzo Longabaugh in the spring of 1867, was the youngest of five children of a Baptist of Pennsylvania. After going west at the age of 15, lived on a ranch with relatives in Colorado, then walked through the Rocky Mountains of the United States and Canada, working as a farmer and drover of foals. He acquired his nickname to be 18 months in jail in Sundance, Wyoming, for stealing a horse.

The company Sundance & ~ was in the movie was Etta Place. Your partner in real life was an enigma. Although it was described as a prostitute, a teacher, or both, no one knows its true origin or destination. Even his name is a mystery. The Pinkerton Detective Agency was called in their ads Etta POPULAR, but she called herself Ethel, who may have been his real name or not. Traveling as Sundance's wife, she used the alias of Place (which was the maiden name of the mother of Sundance).

Butch and Sundance belonged to a gang that included improvised Elzy Lay, Matt Warner, Harvey "Kid Curry" Logan, Ben "Tall Texan" Kilpatrick and Will Carver. Dubbed as the Raiders Union Railway, the Gang of Hole in the Wall, and The Wild Bunch, the gang robbed trains, banks and remittance of wages from the mines in the Rocky Mountain West and fled with a total $ 200,000 (the equivalent today of $ 2.5 million) between 1889 and early 1900.

With $ 1,000 bounty on their heads and the Pinkertons following in his footsteps, Butch and Sundance escaped to South America in 1901 with Ethel. The film takes you directly to the City of New York to Bolivia, but their original purpose was actually Argentina. After entering Argentina in the English ship Herminius in March and taking the train to Patagonia in June, settled in the Chubut Territory, a border area in southern Argentina in large tracts populated by immigrants, pioneers and Indians. Although most immigrants were Welsh or Chileans, some North Americans had traveled the same corner of the world, looking for open plains. For example, the nearest neighbor of these bandits was John Commodore Perry, who was the first sheriff of Crockett County, Texas. Butch and Sundance were also associated with another Texan, Jarred Jones, who lived a few days' journey to the north, near Bariloche.

Calling James "Santiago" Ryan and Mr. and Mrs. Harry "Henry" Place, Wild Group peacefully took possession of a ranch in the Valley Cholila, raising sheep, cows, and horses. The three get along with their neighbors, and if any of his neighbors found out the dark past of Butch and Sundance, this did not interfere with their friendship. So they were recommended when the governor of the territory in July Lezana visited the valley in 1904, spent the night in his house, a four-bedroom cottage well preserved on the eastern bank of the Blanco River. During the festivities of welcome, Sundance hit sambas on his guitar, and danced with Ethel Lezana.

Meanwhile, in March 1903, the Pinkertons had sent agent Frank Dimaio to Buenos Aires after receiving a notice that Butch and Sundance were living in Argentina. Dimaio tracked his whereabouts, then contacted his superiors, saying the rainy season prevented him from making the trip to Cholila. Before leaving Argentina, provided the police Dimaio translated versions of the WANTED posters of the bandits.

The February 14, 1905, two English-speaking bandits robbed the Bank of Tarapaca and Argentina in Rio Gallegos, 1,100 kilometers south of Cholila, near the Strait of Magellan. Escaping with a sum of money that today would be worth at least $ 100,000, the couple disappeared northward through the cold plains of Patagonia. Although Butch and Sundance were never identified as the authors (their descriptions do not correspond as well as their mode of operation), they were the main suspects.

Responding to an order of the chief of police of Buenos Aires, Lezana Governor issued an order for the arrest of Butch and Sundance. Before the order could be executed Sheriff Edward Humphreys, a Welshman-Argentine who was a friend of Butch and was in love with Ethel, warned them of the order. In early May, the trio fled north to Bariloche and embarked on the steamer Condor across Lake Nahuel Huapi to Chile.

No one knows almost nothing that the bandits did in Chile, but apparently spent time in Antofagasta, a clearinghouse of nitrate in the desert of the north coast. The Pinkertons were informed by an informer of the post office that Frank D. Aller, the vice-consul in Antofagasta, had brought to Sundance (aka Frank Boyd) problem with the Chilean government in 1905.

That same year, the criminals returned to Argentina for business: December 19th, Butch, Sundance, Ethel, and an ally unknown stole $ 150,000 (the equivalent today) of the Banco de la Nacion in Villa Mercedes in San Luis, a center rancher 400 miles west of Buenos Aires. With many squads of soldiers chasing them, they fled west on rain-wet pampas and the Andes to Chile.

In April 1906, a few months after the assault in Villa Mercedes, briefly visited Sundance Cholila to sell some sheep and mares that had left Butch and his friend Daniel Gibbon, a rancher Welsh. By then, Ethel was in San Francisco, having returned to the United States forever, and Butch was in Antofagasta en route to Bolivia.

In that year, Butch (using the alias James "Santiago" Maxwell) found work in a tin mine called Concordia, more than 5,000 feet into the plain of Santa Vela Cruz Bolivian central Andes. Sometime after selling livestock in Cholila, Sundance (using the alias HA "Enrique" Brown) got a job with the contractor Roy Letson, wearing mules northern Argentina to a railway construction camp near La Paz. Sundance taming mules worked for a while in the camp, and then met with Butch at Concordia, where his work included remittances protect.

The assistant manager, Percy Seibert, knew that its employees were criminals, but never had the slightest problem with them understood. He found that Sundance was a little moody, but grew fond enough with Butch. After Seibert became the manager at Concordia, they were regular guests at dinner Sunday. To avoid unpleasant surprises, Butch always sat overlooking the valley and the way home by Seibert.

Having been forced to leave his quiet life in Argentina, Butch still wanted to settle down as a respectable rancher. In 1907, he and Sundance went to Santa Cruz, a border town in eastern neotropical sheet, and Butch wrote to friends in Concord that "had found the place he had sought for 20 years." Now at age 41, he was full of remorse. "O God," he lamented, "If I could go back 20 years ago ... I'd be happy." He marveled at all it offered good land with sufficient water and grass, and made a prediction: "If I die, I'll be living here very soon."

In 1908, after Sundance drunk boasted about his exploits publicly criminals and bandits were forced to leave their jobs. Although there is no evidence that employees were only models during his time at Concordia, Seibert gave them credit for many robberies in Bolivia. He said, for example, that they had stolen the remittance of wages of railway construction in Eucalyptus, south of La Paz. Actually the place was assaulted twice in 1908. According to calculations by newspapers, makers of the first robbery, which occurred in April, were "three Yankees who had been employed under contract." The newspapers did not give details about the second assault, which took place in August, after Butch and Sundance went to Concordia.

Later that month, appeared in Tupiza, a mining center in southern Bolivia. They tried to rob a local bank, perhaps to fund your retirement in Santa Cruz, criminals needed a place to shelter while making new plans. They found a perfect hideaway in the camp of English engineer AG Francis, who was supervising the transportation of gold dredge the San Juan del Oro Posing as George Low and Frank Smith, Butch and Sundance were at Camp Verdugo Francis , 24 kilometers south of Tupiza, and asked if his mules could rest for a while. His charisma Francis seized and ended up spending a few weeks with him.

While Francis was left with Sundance, Butch towards frequent visits to Tupiza, protecting the bank and formulating their plans. Unfortunately, I was visiting a detachment of soldiers from the Abaroa Regiment, renowned Bolivian army unit, and they were located in a hotel in the same square as the bank - too close to the convenience of Butch. Frustrated and tired of waiting for the soldiers from leaving the village, his thoughts focused on Aramayo, Francke and Company who had mines in the area. Although the operational headquarters were in Quechisla a three-day trip to the northwest, the family lived in Tupiza Aramayo, and money remittances coming through the office of Tupiza. Through conversations with an employee Aramayo unknown, Butch learned that the manager Carlos Pero Quechisla soon be carrying a consignment of 80,000 pesos bolivianos (half a million dollars today).

By then, Sundance and Francis had moved to Tomahuaico, a few kilometers south of Verdugo, in the western shores of the Rio San Juan del Oro Butch rode in one night, found Sundance, and told his new target. Six days later, the bandits went to Tupiza and emptied Chajrahuasi office behind, the family mansion Aramayo.

Early on the morning of November 3, Carlos Pero picked up a bundle of money wrapped in a hand-woven fabric. He went on with his young son Chajrahuasi Mariano, a pawn, and a few mules, followed discreetly by Butch and Sundance. Pero and his companions spent the night at a farm in the Aramayo in Salo, and resumed their journey at dawn. The criminals were now on, watching through binoculars as the group climbed the Huaca Huañusca (Quechua name meaning Dead Cow Hill). The pawn and boy Pero mules were walking back.

At 9:30 am, the group Pero passed around a hill full of cacti, and found that the road was blocked by Butch and Sundance. The robbers were armed with new and small caliber rifles Mauser with heavy guns. They were dressed in suits, dark red corduroy, with scarves covering their faces with their hats turned downwards, as to what his eyes were barely visible. They Colt revolvers in their holsters and Browning pocket pistols hidden in their belts, they were full of ammunition for rifles.

Sundance kept his distance without saying a word. Butch asked menacingly Mariano pawn Pero and removed, and Carlos Pero asked him to give the money. Unable to resist, Pero said they could take whatever they wanted. Butch began checking the bags but could not find the money, so I told him to open the luggage Pero. Speaking in English, Butch explained that he was not interested in money or personal items Pero or his companions but 80,000 Bolivian pesos they had for the company Aramayo. Pero said he had only 15,000 pesos ($ 90,000 today) and the other sum of consignment was destined for next week. Butch was silent, stunned. Finally, took the little bundle of money and a thin dark brown mule that belonged to the company.

After the bandits left, Pero group continued north towards the town of Guadalupe. At noon, they found a carrier named Andres Gutierrez. Pero wrote a note with a pencil and gave Gutierrez to deliver it in the property of the Aramayo in Salo. Another messenger carried the message from Salo to Chajrahuasi, and gave the alarm via telegraph to the authorities in neighboring communities as well as Argentine and Chilean authorities in all border towns nearby. Military patrol and armed miners (who had been stripped of their salary) were watching ravines, roads, guarding train stations and searching through peoples strangers in southern Bolivia.

Pero spent the night in a mining camp in Cotani, a day trip Quechisla. In a letter recounting the events of the morning to his superiors, the bandits had assumed "safe removal prepared because only then learned that they had not taken away all our animals or that we have died to avoid accusations or gain time."

Meanwhile, Butch and Sundance went south through uninhabited terrain rough. Tupiza They passed under cover of darkness and arrived after midnight Tomahuaico. Butch was sick and went to bed early, but Sundance stayed up late, telling Francis about the robbery.

The bandit also spoke of having "made several attempts to settle into a life following the law, but that these attempts were always thwarted by emissaries of the police and detective agencies who were tracking, and forced him to return to flight" . However, he asserted, "had never killed or hurt someone if not in self defense, and had never robbed the poor, only rich corporations that could support their requirements."

Although Francis did not agree with the misdeeds of their visitors, was "very nice and entertaining companion" and not intended to betray them to the authorities.

The next morning, a friend ran to warn Tomahuaico bandits Tupiza military patrol came in this direction. Butch and Sundance packed their belongings and saddled his mules. To the horror of Francis, they insisted to accompany them. Waiting for them to leave south to Argentina, was surprised when they said they were going to "Uyuni and north". (His fate may have been Oruro, a city with thousands of foreign residents, among whom the bandits had gone unnoticed. Oruro was also the last Sundance mailing address.)

Fearing getting caught between the bullets if the soldiers were, Francis nervously took the bandits to the south and west along the San Juan del Oro and then north through a narrow gorge to the village of Estarca. Francis succeeded they could spend the night with Narcisa de Burgos. Early the next morning, Butch and Sundance Francis thanked for their help and they let him go with instructions to tell any soldier who appears to him that he saw the bandits head toward the border Argentina.

They stopped to ask for directions in Cucho, 15 kilometers north of Estarca, then followed the long, steep road to San Vicente, a mining town on a barren dark brown Ollada over 4500 meters in the Western Cordillera. At dusk on November 6, 1908, they rode to a town on a mule black and one dark brown Aramayo property, and stopped at the house of Bonifacio Casasola. Bellot Cleto, the sheriff came and asked what they wanted. "A property," they replied. Bellot said, but there was nothing that could give them Casasola fourth and sell forage for his mules.

After care for their animals, Butch and Sundance were joined by Bellot in his room. Bellot was asked about the road to Santa Catalina, a village Argentina south of the border, and the road to Uyuni, about 120 miles north of San Vicente. They asked where they could get some sardines and beer, and Bellot sent Casasola to buy with money from Sundance.

When Bellot retired, went straight to the house of Manuel Barran, where he was hosting a party of four men. The squad comprised of Captain Justo P. Concha and two soldiers Abaroa Regiment and Inspector Timothy Rivers Police Department Uyuni, had galloped that afternoon and Bellot had been told to be aware of two Yankees with Aramayo mule. Captain Concha was asleep when Bellot reported the arrival of the suspects, so the inspector Rivers and the two soldiers loaded their rifles soon.

Accompanied by Bellot, they went to the house and entered the courtyard Casasola. As he peered into the room of the bandits in the dark, Butch appeared at the door and fired his Colt, wounding the soldier leader, Victor Torres, in the neck. Torres responded with a shot from his rifle and fled to a nearby house, where he died shortly afterwards. The other soldier and Rivers Butch also shot, then left with Bellot.

After a short trip to the home of Barran for more ammunition, the soldier and Rivers settled into the courtyard entrance and began firing at the bandits. Captain Concha then appeared and asked Bellot I got a few men to monitor the ceiling and the back of the adobe house, so that the bandits could not make a hole and escape. While Bellot met, he heard "three cries of despair" bandits quarter. San Vicenteños Until they organized themselves, the shooting had subsided and all was quiet.

The guards remained in their places during the cold and windy night. Finally, at dawn, Captain Concha Bonifacio Casasola ordered to enter the room. When Yankees reported that the two were dead, the captain and the surviving soldier entered. Butch found lying on the ground, a wound to his head and another on his arm, and Sundance sitting on a bench behind the door, clutching a large ceramic vase, shot once in the forehead and often in the arm. Rather than jumping into a hail of bullets, as his character in the film would six decades later, the real Butch Cassidy apparently shot his wounded comrade and suffered, and then turned the gun against himself to escape capture.

The criminals were buried in the local cemetery that afternoon. The consignment of Aramayo was found intact in his saddlebags. Once your possessions were counted and stored in a leather trunk, Captain Concha escaped to Uyuni with the trunk, allowing the Company Aramayo fight for months in court to recover his money and his mule.

Two weeks after the shooting, the bodies were dug up and Pero bandits were identified as the couple had been assaulted. Tupiza Officers conducted an investigation of the robbery and the shooting interviewing Pero, Bellot, and many other residents of the area but were unable to succeed in the real names of the dead.

In July 1909, Frank D. Aller, the benefactor of Sundance in Antofagasta, wrote to the American diplomatic mission in La Paz for "confirmation and death certificate" by two Americans - one known as Frank Boyd or HA Brown and the other as Maxwell - who "were reported killed in San Vicente near Tupiza by locals and police, and buried as 'unknown' ". Aller said he needed a death certificate to finalize Boyd lands in Chile. The American diplomatic mission forward the request to the Bolivian Foreign Ministry, saying that the Americans had "assaulted many remittances trains Bolivian Railway Company, also wagons diligence of many mines, and I understood who were killed in a struggle for soldiers who were willing to catch them as criminals. "

In 1910, after considerable delay, the Bolivian government finally responded with a summary of the findings in Tupiza and "the death certificate of such citizens whose names are unknown."

In May 1913, a carpenter from Missouri named Francis M. Lowe was arrested in La Paz on suspicion of being George Parker (the Pinkertons believed was Butch's real name). With the help of the American diplomatic mission, Lowe stated that the case was a mistake of identity. When filling a report on the matter, an officer in the Mission recommended that the Secretary of State William Jennings Bryan that "certain English and others here are right that a man known as George Parker (who was wanted by police in La Paz) was killed about two or three years in one province while resisting "arrest.

When William A. Pinkerton learned of the shooting of San Vicente, had passed this story as "something wrong". The agency never canceled the search for Butch and Sundance officially. In fact, in 1921, Mr. Pinkerton told the agent that "the last thing the Sundance Kid knew was that he was in a prison in Peru for trying to rob a bank. Butch Cassidy was with him, but he escaped and supposed to be returned to Argentina ". Needless to mention, the Pinkerton never reached the couple.